Catherine Kendall Steele
South Cemetery, Hollis, New Hampshire
The Matthew Thornton Chapter placed a marker on May 22, 1982, on the grave of Catherine Kendall Steele, our “Real Daughter.” The name “Real Daughter” is given to those members of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution whose own fathers fought in the War for Independence.
Participants were: Gladys Grigas, chapter vice regent 1980-1983; Ida Maybe, state regent 1980-1983, Harriett Gray Partington, chapter regent 1980-1983; and Mrs. Edward Hunt, state chaplain 1980-1983; and other chapter members.
Photo by Judy J. Eriksen
Vice Regent 2003-2006
Photos by Judy J. Eriksen Vice Regent 2003-2006
Gravestone with lettering.
Catherine lived 102 years 9 months.
She is buried beside her husband.
Sketch by Sally Grigas
Catherine was born in Amherst, New Hampshire, on May 12, 1801, the daughter of Nathan and Sarah (Kenrick-Kendrick) Kendall. At age 20, Nathan was a fifer in Captain Archelaus Town’s Company that went from Amherst to engage in the war. This company was at first a part of the 27th Massachusetts Regiment under the command of Colonel Bridge. At the Battle of Bunker Hill, it was one of the thirteen companies in the First New Hampshire Regiment commanded by General John Stark of New Hampshire. Nathan became a Captain in Colonel Town’s Regiment in the Continental Army. He was pensioned at age 65.
Catherine taught public and private schools in Amherst and Concord, New Hampshire. While in Concord, she attended the reception held in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette by General Pierce. Catherine married David Steele (1787-1866), a lawyer. Catherine was a woman of great ability, force of character, and refinement as social leader. Catherine Kendall Steele was one of the thirty charter members who organized the Matthew Thornton Chapter in Nashua, NH. She signed her papers October 10, 1896, at ninety-five years of age.
Location of stones/marker: South Cemetery, Hollis, New Hampshire. Corner of Ridge Road and Main Street/Pepperell Road, .6 miles south of Hollis Center. Stone is located to the right of the entrance up the hill.
Source: NHSODAR History 1930, p231& 232
NHSODAR History 1970-1992, p86